Yesterday’s debate on No confidence motion brought in by opposition parties against Modi Government was highlighted by one of the first corruption charges against the Government since it assumed power 4 years ago. Though opposition seems to be reading too much into the mystery shrouding the deal, knowing the likes of Nirmala Sitharaman and Modi, one can assume with reasonable surety that it’s a hoax red flag raised by the opposition. However, it is also interesting to know that what after all happened to those whose names got embroiled in scams in the past:
(1) the first, foremost and mother of all scams that readily comes to one’s mind is Bofors. From Rajiv Gandhi to Swami Dhirendra Brahmachari to Arun Nehru to Quattrochi- lots of names were involved but they either perished or continued to survive but didn’t get punished.
(2) chara ghotala has seen Lalu going in and out of jail but his party and family continue to have an iron hold on the affairs of Bihar.
(3) Robert Vadra vs. DLF seems to have died natural death and Vadra continues to be a free bird.
(4) Chidambaram and his son are in soup but PC is the top lawyer in the country and he doesn’t seem to be much worried.
(5) Ajit Dada Pawar seems to have Vidarbha irrigation scam behind him , while Ashok Chavan seems to have got flat in Adarsh and clean chit too! Incidentally, when is Adarsh going to get demolished?
(6) Chit fund scam in West Bengal, education scam in MP, Reddy brothers, Jayalalitha ( May her soul rest in peace) are all but forgotten.
Why dig up a scam, make noise about it, spend public money on probes if ultimately nothing is to come out of it. Let’s admit that our guys are not fool to be leaving a paper trail or proof behind to be in soup in future!